Collect information for investigation of Linux operating system lockups.
Operating system may hang under specific circumstances. To identify the exact cause, it is necessary to analyze Acronis System Report and a kernel dump.
Always make sure you have the latest build of the product (if it's possible).
Operating system lockup is a situation when the system doesn't respond to any of user's actions. Note: it's not an operating system lockup, if the OS has not loaded yet (if the user has not logged on yet), in this case please contact Acronis Customer Central with exact issue description.
If the system freezes and does not respond to any action, try to save your data by rebooting the machine in the following way.
Issue this sequence
Ctrl + Alt + SysRq + R and wait for 2 seconds
Ctrl + Alt + SysRq + E and wait for 2 seconds
Ctrl + Alt + SysRq + I and wait for 2 seconds
Ctrl + Alt + SysRq + S and wait for 2 seconds
Ctrl + Alt + SysRq + U and wait for 2 seconds
Ctrl + Alt + SysRq + B and wait for 2 seconds
If this works, go the troubleshooting part and learn how to collect information required for further investigation. If the machine does not respond to this sequence, you can only reboot the machine by pressing the Reset button, then collect the information described below.
The following information is required for investigation:
1. Kernel dump. The most simple way is to use the kdump utility. You need to install it on the machine, dump will be generated automatically when the lockup occurs. For detailed information on how to install kdump, how to adjust settings (if needed) and where to find the dump (usually /var/crash is set by default) please see the manual corresponding to your Linux distribution, e.g.:
2. Collect System Report from the machine in question after the issue is reproduced:
- Acronis Backup Cloud: Collecting System Report
- Acronis Backup 12.5 and 12: Generating System Report
- Acronis Backup 11.7/11.5: Generating System Report
If report collection from the product not work, collect information as described in Linux System Report
Send these files to Acronis Customer Central via FTP: see Uploading Files to Acronis FTP Server. A unique FTP link tied to your case can be provided by the Support Engineer assigned to your case. Please contact Acronis Customer Central for assistance.