You can create a rescue bootable media - a standalone version of Acronis True Image that you can use to boot a crashed machine or a machine without any operating system and restore an image of your system. Follow these instructions to create a bootable media.
On a Windows computer
If you have Acronis True Image installed, create the Bootable Media using the Rescue Media Builder.
- Attach a USB flash drive to your computer or insert a CD/DVD.
- Start the product and click the Tools sign -> Rescue Media Builder:
- Select Acronis bootable rescue media:
- Select the media type:
- Click Proceed:
You can always download a Bootable Media ISO image file from your account web page on any computer and create the bootable media even on a computer where Acronis True Image is not installed. The only restriction that exists in this case is that the bootable media as an ISO image can be burnt only to a CD/DVD disc. You cannot create a bootable USB thumb drive this way.
1. Insert a blank CD or DVD disc
2. Open a web browser and sign into your account at https://account.acronis.com/:
3. Click Downloads in the Acronis True Image section:
4. If a download starts automatically, cancel it. Locate the link "Bootable Media ISO" on the download page and click it to start the correct download:
5. Save the ISO file somewhere on the computer. When the download finishes, right-click the downloaded file and select "Burn disc image":
6. Mark the checkbox "Verify disc after burning" and then click the Burn button to start writing the media:
On a Mac
(!) We strongly recommend creating a bootable media immediately after the first backup; if the operating system crashes, the only way to restore it is restoring from the bootable media.
The bootable media can be only created if the Recovery partition is present on the machine.
- Connect a removable drive to your Mac. The drive must have 4 GB (or more) of free space. For example, you can use an external hard drive or a USB flash drive. Note that CD and DVD media are not supported.
- Open Acronis True Image.
- In the File menu, click Create Rescue Media:
- The Acronis Media Builder window opens. Select the drive that you want to make bootable.
- Click Create Media.
We recommend that you create a new rescue media every time you upgrade your Mac OS X to a newer version. Otherwise, your rescue media may not work properly.