This article applies to:
- Acronis True Image 2021
- Acronis True Image 2020
- Acronis True Image 2019
- Acronis True Image 2018
- Acronis True Image 2017 New Generation
- Acronis True Image 2017
TLS is a cryptographic protocol that provide authentication and data encryption between different endpoints, e.g. between Acronis True Image and Acronis servers (both for storing backups in Acronis Cloud and for activation, registration and sync via internet). As of February 2022, Acronis cloud infrastructure supports TLS 1.0, TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 protocols.
Acronis cloud data centers are built to provide the highest levels of safety, security, and accessibility. To ensure that these standards are maintained, Acronis commits to use TLS 1.2 security protocol for network communications.
Security protocols are like software; they require continuous updates and enhancements. Which is why we are shipping free mandatory software updates to Acronis True Image (versions 2017-2021) that enable the use of TLS 1.2 in older versions of Acronis True Image, to make certain that you are protected by the strongest algorithms and ciphers.
Acronis Cyber Protect Home Office supports TLS 1.2 starting from the release version. Current enterprise and MSP Acronis solutions, such as Acronis Cyber Protect and Acronis Cyber Protect Cloud always use TLS 1.2.
Acronis will start disabling support of legacy TLS versions in datacenters starting from March 2022. Disabling the use of older versions of TLS protocols is as important as adding support for new versions: in case old versions are still supported, downgrade attacks can force the servers to use older versions of the protocols that have known exploits and vulnerabilities.
We highly recommend that you install this security update before March 2022. Doing so will not only enhance your security, but is also necessary for all product features that use the Acronis Cloud to continue working properly. If you choose not to update your software, certain functionalities will be unavailable beginning in March.
Build numbers of the new security update:
|Acronis True Image 2021||39287||39287|
|Acronis True Image 2020||38600||38600|
|Acronis True Image 2019||18100||18100|
|Acronis True Image 2018||15560||15550|
|Acronis True Image 2017 New Generation||6220||6231|
|Acronis True Image 2017||8065||8075|
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Does this affect me?
A: This change affects you only if you use Acronis True Image 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 and meet any of the following criteria:
- you have a subscription license (Acronis True Image Essential, Advanced or Premium)
- you have a perpetual license (Acronis True Image Standard, also known as 'one-time purchase') with a paid subscription for Acronis Cloud storage
- you have a perpetual license and the tab "License" of Acronis True Image shows your email address at the top (indicating, that you are signed into Acronis account)
- you store backups from iOS or Android versions of Acronis True Image in Acronis Cloud
Q: What is happening?
A: Acronis is releasing a mandatory software update for Acronis True Image of versions 2017-2021 included.
Q: Why is it important?
A: Acronis updates its cloud servers to authenticate users using only newer and more secure connection methods and reject connections that use older less secure methods. If you don't install the update, any product features that use Acronis Cloud will stop working (read down for the complete list of affected features).
Q: What is required from me?
A: Install the update, and, if you use Acronis Cloud to store system backups from PC or Mac, then re-create Acronis Bootable Media.
Q: When should I install the update?
A: The updates become available starting from December 2021. It is necessary to install the update until March 2022.
Q: How to install the update?
A: Download the installer from https://account.acronis.com/ as per instructions https://kb.acronis.com/latest, launch it and install over existing build. Install the update from Apple AppStore or Google Play Market for your mobile device.
Q: Can I keep my old build and install the new build side-by-side, so I could use both versions?
A: No. The new build will overwrite any earlier build. There is no way to have two different builds of Acronis True Image installed at the same time.
Q: What exactly will happen, if I don't install the new build?
A: 1. The following new and existing tasks will fail:
- Login to Acronis account
- Subscription license activation (countdown of 30 days will begin, after which all product functions will stop working, not only listed on this page).
- Perpetual license activation (countdown of 30 days will begin, after which all product functions will stop working, not only listed on this page).
- Create, Edit, Rename, Delete, Browse, Recover for new and existing backups in Acronis Cloud, replication to Acronis Cloud, data archiving to Acronis Cloud, synchronization of all kinds (Acronis Cloud is used to synchronize the task's settings on participating computers)
- Acronis Bootable Media won't connect to Acronis Cloud for recovering backups
2. Online Dashboard (Family Dashboard), which you can access at https://trueimage.acronis.com/ and addresses, ending with "-cloud.acronis.com", will display outdated information about installed Acronis True Image. You will not be able to do anything with the installed Acronis True Image remotely by using the Online Dashboard.
Q: What functions will remain unaffected, if I don't install the new build?
- First and foremost: your already created backups, archives, and already synchronized folders anywhere (stored in Acronis Cloud or in any other location, including internal disks, external disks, USB storages, NAS, FTP servers, network shares, CDs, DVDs, Blu-rays) will remain unaffected at all.
- Certain things, that can be done using solely a web browser, will continue working:
- 2.1 View and update your Acronis account and licenses at https://account.acronis.com
- 2.2 See your backups in Acronis Cloud at https://www.acronis.com/my/online-backup/webrestore/ , download files and folders from your backups, archives and synchronization data in Acronis Cloud using a web browser
- For owners of perpetual license, that doesn't require automatic license re-activation over Internet at least once in 30 days: all product functions that don't involve Acronis Cloud will continue working (as discussed earlier, synchronization does require a connection to Acronis Cloud for establishing and maintaining the synchronization task):
- disk cloning, Try & Decide and anything else under Tools and utilities tab
- Acronis Bootable Media builder (although such created media won't connect to Acronis Cloud).
Q: Are there any caveats, that I should be aware of?
A: We have tested the update thoroughly and do not expect any issues. Optionally, you can do the following as a precaution measure before installing the update, to be able to revert the update, in case it causes unexpected behavior:
- Create a bootable media, if you don't have one yet, as described in How to create bootable media
- Run a system backup before installing the update as per How to back up entire computer (instructions for the "Entire PC"/"Entire Mac" backup type) or by using Disk/Partition backup, if it includes the system disk.
If the new update causes issues, you would be able to roll back the changes by restoring the system from such backup. Refer to the product documentation about the recovery. For Windows there are also instructions at https://kb.acronis.com/content/59870 (shorter version) and https://kb.acronis.com/content/59873 (longer version).
Q: Should I re-create Acronis Bootable Media, even if I don't store system backups in Acronis Cloud?
A: No, you don't need to. The bootable media that you already have, will continue working without any change.
Q: Where can I download this security update?
A: If Acronis True Image is installed on your machine, you will receive a notification about available update; you can then download and install the build automatically. The new build with security update is also available for download under your account at account.acronis.com in case you need to download the build manually or install on a new machine at any later time.
Q: Will you provide technical support for this update?
A: Yes, with the goal of getting the product successfully updated. Anything beyond that is subject to the policy described at Acronis Support Lifecycle Policy for Consumer Products. To submit a support ticket, please follow https://kb.acronis.com/contact-support